Guidelines for Using the GTL's eBook Collection
The Gannett-Tripp Library’s eBook Collection includes over 150,000 titles from EBSCOhost’s Academic eBook Collection and from the GTL's growing number of purchased ebooks--all accessible through Library Search. The Library purchases ebooks as the preferred format for books. You do not have to download ebooks to read them. Each book can be read online by clicking eBook Full Text under the entry in your Library Search results list. Tools at the bottom of the frame allow you to adjust the size and go either to the next page or the page of your choice.
About 85% of the ebook collection is available for downloading for the convenience of reading offline at a later time, either on your personal computer or another electronic device. Some ebooks have no restrictions for downloading, and require neither sign in nor Adobe Digital Editions, but for most downloads, you will need to:
1. Create a My EBSCOhost account:
- Go to the Academic Search Complete database.
- Click on Sign In at the right of the toolbar at the top of the page.
- On the Sign In to My EBSCOhost page, scroll down the page to the "Sign In" button.
- Click on the link under the button -- “Don’t have an account? Create one now”
- Follow the simple instructions to create your personal My EBSCOhost account. If you need help, go to How to Create and Manage a My EBSCOhost Account.
2. Download Adobe Digital Editions or other software:
- For desktop or laptop PCs, go to https://www.adobe.com/solutions/ebook/digital-editions.html to download the free Adobe® Digital Editions software. You will have to take a minute or two to register for an Adobe ID which will allow you to access your downloads from your personal computer or mobile devices.
- For Apple and Mac desktop and laptop computers, download the Bluefire Reader, free from the iTunes App Store or at http://www.bluefirereader.com/
- For iOS or Android phones and tablets, download the Bluefire Reader (or any app supported by Adobe Digital Editions) from iTunes or Google Play. Important: You'll need to authorize the app with your Adobe ID the first time you use it. If you don't have one, you can create one at this link: https://helpx.adobe.com/manage-account/using/create-update-adobe-id.html
- NOTE: Elmira College employees who would like to download ebooks onto their office computers should submit a request through the IT Help Desk to have Adobe Digital Editions installed on their office computers.
For more information on viewing and downloading ebooks, see the EBSCO libguides;Account.